Thursday, May 24, 2018

Feels Good(ish)

Today was a tough one for many reasons.  I was not interested in being bad at it (no lung capacity) and then actually being bad at it.  Either way, I made it and it feels good.  We did a Tabata 4x (same workout for 20 seconds, 10 seconds of rest and repeat 4 times before moving onto the next station) and I was finding myself unable to do the last 5 seconds of nearly every round once we had went through a couple of times.  That was tough to deal with but I was feeling the burn and understanding that I was getting better by being there.
I currently have a mental block to get past so I can finish that last 5 seconds.  I don't know what it is but it's there.  It could be a few things but I know it is only mental.  Once I get past that hurdle, I think I will start working towards that next stage.
Speaking of stages, I think I am going to put an analogy out there so if it works for you great, if not, it wasn't meant for you anyway. :)
I feel like stages of fitness are like trying to sprint when you are laying down on your back but happen over the course of months instead of seconds.  At first, there is no movement and your just have to figure out how this is going to work.  Once you got that down, you then start getting up.  Movement is happening but you don't feel like you are going anywhere.  This is still an important piece because you have to do that to eventually sprint.  Once you are up, you need to start moving your feet.  For me, that is when I get the bug or the fever.  You are starting to see progress and feel like you have made it past the toughest part.  Once you are going, you feel momentum kicking in and things are moving fast.  You peak and feel like you could tackle anything and then you hit the wall...  This is the part of the sprint where you start to slow down and eventually stop.  For me, that was this last few months.  I had taken myself to the peak, slowed down and instead of walking again, I stopped.  Now, I am trying to run but this time, I am not on my back, I just have to start going again until I get the bug.  So far, I am 6 days in a row and it feels good.  I think I am back on track but with a long Memorial Day weekend, I need to do something to keep running.  

-N 

No comments:

Post a Comment